Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Home For The Holidays

I consider myself a bit of a design nerd.  Interiors and design are my passion and I definitely have a sense of the style I love.  I use that word lightly, because I can honestly say that I pick a little here and there, fidgeting with my belongings and constantly moving things around, whether it's a simple vase, book or as big as a sideboard.  That is what it's truly about in your home.  I have never been one to follow what others are doing. One thing that stays true to me is making sure I am providing a space that has a sense of light and feels airy for my family.  Using various woods and textures and creating spaces that can be used by everyone.  No room is off limits.  A lot of my inspiration comes from the Scandinavians who are masters at combining those elements. 

So for the holidays this year, don't stress about making your home perfect. Try to create what you love by using what you love. It's really that simple.  Creating your own style and not following what's "in" or the latest trend, and making sure to add that cozy factor is the key.  Listed below, I have shared a few of my tips I like to follow for the holidays, and hopefully you can take something from them to help make your house a home for the holidays!

1. It's easy to get in over your head with the holidays and the stress that goes along with it.  Think about what you don't want to be without. If you're thinking about what everyone else is doing, you've lost the whole point of Christmas.  

2. Spend time together as a family.  Bake Christmas goodies, build gingerbread houses, decorate the tree, whatever it is.  Don't let that time go by without doing fun things with your family.  

3. Don't go overboard with the budget on decorations.  Just look in your own backyard!  Nature is free and gorgeous!

4. Use the tried and true...lots of candles!  Create that cozy factor I mentioned.  It also creates heat and can be an inexpensive way to look amazing and festive!

4. Potlock!  Get everyone to bring something to contribute to the dinner. It really doesn't matter what it is, but it will alleviate all the time you would normally spend cooking, and you can spend more time with family and guests.  So simple and stress free!

3 comments:

Sheila @SZInteriors said...

Wow - you are on a roll! I love this article too, and I think you have really struck a chord with what's important. I can feel the warmth of your home from here!

xo Sheila

Shelley Jacobsen said...

That is exactly what I am trying to convey! Thanks Sheila...I heart your comments! It's so important to have great friends to share it with! Hugs! xo

stive martin said...

Very sweet home to live in holidays. I would like to live in this home with my family.

=================
CSCS Card

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...