Friday, September 14, 2012

Painting Stripes

I was a bit nervous to paint stripes, just that ol' sinking feeling kept creeping in, that the paint would bleed to death and look like crap in the end, but at the same time, was pretty stoked to do it.  Of course I had a little bit of a hiccup, but that was quickly put to rest knowing I could cover it up.  Oh, I'm definitely not suggesting you cover up your mistakes, but hey, s@#!t happens and it just worked out this time, that my project allowed me to do that:)  This is pretty straight forward, and I know many of you have painted stripes, so this is just a quick recap of how it all went down!

The before:


I painted the entire wall with the white first, let it sit over night, then taped out where the stripes would go 8" apart.  I prefer to use the green Frog Tape, for most of my painting projects, but that's just my preference.  Then I applied the brown Martha Stewart colour, starting at the top.  After finishing the stripes, I started to remove the tape row by row...


...aaaaand oops!


but luckily...


...the headboard covered it!  Hooray!  I might actually attempt to do stripes again in the next year, (or 10)...:)

Paint:
Martha Stewart Molasses (MSL245)
Low Odor/Low VOC Colour Performance Paint

Beauti-Tone Signature Series
White-700-00W
Low VOC

(Both in Eggshell). 

8 comments:

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Dang it. Don't you hate that??? I'm glad you found a solution. Did you know Frog Tape has a "delicate" tape for when paint isn't fully cured? Looks fantastic!!

Shelley Jacobsen said...

I do actually, but the funny thing is Carol, is that every other piece of tape that I pulled off was smooth as butter...no issues! I just had no idea why in THAT particular spot it decided to come off-including the dang drywall underneath! Oh well, done now and all good:) Thanks for your kind words:)

Sheila Zeller said...

Looks great, and hey, _ _ _ _ happens! It's how you handle it that counts :-) I happen to have a drywall fill & paint job waiting for me - yup, it all came off because I was taking a shortcut :-\ Right now mine is hidden behind a piece of art!

Shelley Jacobsen said...

Oh that does not sound fun Sheila...lol! I love painting but yeah, hate it when that happens! Thanks for popping by and have a great weekend ladies:)

Lisa said...

I so hate when that happens with the tape. I have tried the Frog tape but it was only a small area. The true test will be some serious stripes. It looks fabulous by the way and I love the headboard too. Thanks for your kind words on my Refined Rustic kitchen post this week. It's much appreciated ;)

AlinaLoves said...

What a fabulous idea! Really like the stripes, they certainly add the 'oomph' to a room!

Shelley Jacobsen said...

Thanks Lisa! I look forward to seeing your "serious stripes", lol!

Shelley Jacobsen said...

Definitely adds the oomph Alina, in an otherwise plain white room:) Thanks for your comment, much appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...